12.27.2006

Fine then.

Well, I've jumped on the meme bandwagon with this random little collection of bits concerning yours truly. May attempt Kath's proposed topic next.

Five Things You Probably Never Knew About Me:


1. My nose is plastic. Well, for the most part. (Never sass someone who is 4 times your size and has anger management issues.)

2. I was just two belts away from black belt status in taekwondo when my partying ways got me the boot. Something about lack of sleep/food contributing to a visible decrease in performance ability/dedication...

3. I spent the first couple years of my life on a depressing-ass wheat farm in NoDak. An orange tabby cat "taught" me to walk before getting run over by a tractor (the cat, not me, although at the time I probably would have given at least a limb for that kitty to keep on keepin' on, for I loved him so. yeah, it was like that...we were on a FARM in NORTH DAKOTA...my closest companions were a cat and some cows...what do you want from me?).

4. I studied at the University of London for a bit as an undergrad. Fell in love with that city. Waiting for someone to emerge from the shadows and offer me a job that pays enough to allow me to set up camp there permanently. Some of the people I lived with couldn't wait to return to the U.S. and bitched endlessly about *inconveniences* like the lack of iceberg lettuce, ranch dressing and a brand of humor that they could understand. I, on the other hand, swore off any allegiances I may have possessed with my first step off the plane at Heathrow. I actually cried, a lot, when I had to come back "home."

5. I have trouble writing concisely, but I'm getting better. Which is funny because I write for a living. My first "real" paper in college was 29 pages long. My professor (understandably) refused to deal with this onslaught of freshman-grade prose and sent me back to the library, tail between my legs, to start anew. I emerged several hours later with the abridged version of said paper and a profound sense of pride in its refreshing new length of a mere 15 pages.

11 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Shmeder said...

How can you write so much? I have always had the opposite problem - I write too little. When my instructors tell me they need my paper to be 5 to 6 pages they might get 3 and a half if they are lucky. I try to add filler information but it doesn't work out for me...

If I gave you some of my concise-ness, could you give me some of your wordiness?

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger i know, i can smell it said...

Sounds good - let's trade!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Rosie said...

Have you given up blogging for good?! Come back!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Missy said...

I'm bored at work, and miss the blog. I'm with rosie.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous hubs said...

where have you gone?

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Shmeder said...

Hello? Is this thing on? Is there a switch to turn it back on?

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger i know, i can smell it said...

I know, I know! I need to either, as they say, shit or get off the pot. I'm pretty content to let this thing die, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to save some of this stuff for posterity or whatever. And sometimes I'm tempted to start it all up again. So yeah, I'm a waffler...I waffle. Waffle and lurk.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Kath said...

Miss you :-)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Howard said...

What? When did you start blogging again?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Howard said...

I just looked at the year. it's almost been a year, missy! :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger dh said...

Sometimes I feel like my purpose in life is to help others put their life in perspective by showing them what truly pathetic is. I do not live on a farm in North Dakota. I live in a major metropolitan city of half a million people. My closest companions, like yours on the farm, are cats. Unfortunately I can not rely on my rural location or the fact that I am a child to make myself feel better about this confession. Yes I am the "crazy cat guy" that the neighborhood kids make up rumors and jokes about. Sometimes when i talk to my neighbors I get the feeling that if I came out of the closet it would be a big relief to them." Oh", they would say, " that makes sense". But I am neither crazy nor gay just content, content to live alone with my three cats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home